|Research investigating innovative ways to feel more confident about daily life activities .
Falls are common in daily life for all sorts of reasons, and can sometimes cause people to feel quite concerned about what would happen to them if they would fall.
Funded by the Mindgardens Neuroscience Network, we have joined forces with the University of Maastricht (The Netherlands) and the Black Dog Institute (Sydney), to design and evaluate a program that is accessible to anybody with concerns about falling. It combines online Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and a hands-on personal work book that will help you find solutions that work for you. We will also be utilising our cutting-edge balance program StandingTall to provide a graded balance program.
What would happen if I took part in the research project?
· The study is entirely home-based with no need to travel.
· All participants will be asked to complete a fall risk assessment via video call and to complete monthly questionnaires over 12 months.
· Participants will be randomly allocated into one of three groups:
– Group 1: Will be asked to follow their usual care.
– Group 2: Will be asked to follow the Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Fear of Falling program from home for 8 weeks. At 8 weeks, tailored physical activity guidance will be provided for future physical activity.
– Group 3: Will be asked to follow the Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Fear of Falling and StandingTall balance programs from home for 8 weeks. At 8 weeks, tailored physical activity guidance will be provided for future physical activity.
Who can participate in the research?
· 65+ years of age
· Have a substantial concern about falls or low balance confidence
· Living in the Sydney metropolitan area
· Able to walk household distances
You can also contact Alicia Brown on 02 9399 1036 or email@example.com for more information.
On August 11 2019, 54 people took on the City2Surf for Neuroscience Research Australia (NeuRA). The event is the world’s largest fun run with 80,000 participants taking on the 14km course, which stretches from Hyde Park in central Sydney to the iconic Bondi Beach. NeuRA thanks all of its fundraisers, who raised an incredible $30,903. This funding will further NeuRA’s […]