The Koori Dementia Care Project
The Koori Dementia Care Project (KDCP) aims to inform, educate and build capacity in urban and regional NSW Aboriginal communities, and with associated service providers, about the effects of dementia on older Aboriginal people and their families. KDCP is funded by Ageing Disability and Home Care and supported by Neuroscience Research Australia and the Dementia Collaborative Research Centre.
- Increased dementia awareness and knowledge across the communities of La Perouse, Campbelltown, The Far North Coast and Mt Druitt.
- Increased acceptance of appropriate community services for those living with dementia and their families.
- Translation of the knowledge gained in KGOWS into capacity building for Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal service providers and health workers.
- Development and dissemination of information and communication strategies to urban and regional Aboriginal communities on the topic of dementia.
- Improvement and timely diagnosis of dementia, increased take-up of support for carers through increased community and family education, increased understanding and acceptance of the range of community support services available for carers and development of a person-centred (community centred) model of care within Aboriginal care.